Monday, July 27, 2009

Daddy

We share a face,
But you do not know me.
Daddy, why don't you love me?
I'm not the same little girl with the tear-streaked cheeks asking for a toy.
I'm the eighteen year old woman who demands an answer.
But even then I did not get the toy
This time you will give me answers.
How do you sleep at night?
This little town listens, believes, and repeats lies that you feed it.
Like you do so much.
Daddy, how do you sleep?
Mommy brings me the moon on a string like an ivory balloon.
Tie it on your wrist, like this. She coos and demonstrates.
This is better than a toy, I say.
Mommy brings me the stars and planets as well because nothing's ever good enough.
Because she loves me.
Daddy, why do you lie?
You told them all the moon was yours.
You said it was your idea, but when I asked you to help mommy,
You said no.
You said no, Daddy.
As a child I didn't understand
But my eyes are as brown as yours.
My lips are as full as yours.
My face is as round as yours.
My hair curls and falls like yours.
My smile is as wide as yours,
But I am not you.
You are not me,
& you do not love me.
Why not, Daddy?

No comments:

Post a Comment